Marquee Slideshow

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Yum Yum: Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream

I am loving my ice cream maker this summer. Soon I will have quite a few more posts with things I have been trying with it this summer.  I am lactose intolerant and got my ice cream maker years ago to make "lactose-free" ice cream.  They used to have drops on the market that you could put into milk to dissolve the lactose and then I could make ice cream out of it.  They no longer have those drops on the market - makes me wonder if they worked or if they were bad for me ;-)

I recently saw this blog post and how could I not try it.  Ice cream that I would actually encourage my kids to eat.  And they LOVE it.


I literally put bananas and peanut butter in a blender and then put it in the ice cream maker and it made yummy ice cream.  It is best served best straight from the ice cream maker.  If you put it in the freezer, you probably want to pop it in the microwave for 10 seconds to soften it up before scooping it out and serving.

Ingredients:

4 large very ripe bananas
2 tablespoons peanut butter

Directions:

1. Peel bananas and slice into 1/2 inch discs. Arrange banana slices in a single layer on a large plate or baking sheet. Freeze for 1-2 hours.
2. Place the banana slices in a food processor or powerful blender. Puree banana slices, scraping down the bowl as needed. Puree until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Add the peanut butter and puree to combine. Serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream consistency. If you prefer harder ice cream, place in the freezer for a few hours and then serve.

Anyone else have nutritious ideas like this for kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, please leave one.