Marquee Slideshow

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Yum Yum: Cherry Coke Cupcakes

I have made a few things with soda in them, it is a great substitute.  Want to know the best thing about it?  Since you don't have raw eggs, you can eat the batter.

These were so good.  I found the recipe on Mrs. Fox Sweets
Cupcake Ingredients
1 box of Devils Food Cake Mix
1 can of Cherry Coca-Cola Zero (I didn't use the whole coke, just enough to make it moist)
Cupcake Directions
Combine the 2 ingredients and fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full. This will make 21 cupcakes. Bake about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out with just a few crumbs. The cupcakes will be very moist and fragile, so be careful when you remove them from the pan not to squish them...but think of all the calories and fat that you have saved for the icing! Let cool on cooling rack, I like to cover my cooling rack with a paper towel to avoid lines in the bottom of the tender cupcake.
While these are cooling it is time to make the frosting!
This recipe is adapted from:
Frosting Ingredients (I didn't use the frosting - I used my favorite frosting: Pillsbury Whipped Supreme Fluffy White)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cold Cherry Coca-Cola Zero
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
dash of salt
2 egg whites
Frosting Directions
In a stainless steel durable 3 quart saucepan mix all ingredients. (Mixing this frosting will beat up your pan, so consider that when you are deciding which pan to use. Don't use nonstick, that will definitely be scraped up.) Beat with electric mixer in the pan for 1 minute, scraping pan constantly. Place pan with mixture on stove on low to medium low, on my stove it was at a 3. Beat with mixer on high speed for 10 minutes or until stiff peaks form, this took 15 minutes for me. Remove from heat. This mixture should be warm but not hot.
Fill piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes. Top with cherry and add straw for decoration.

1 comment:

  1. Those look yummy! I've never cupcakes with soda, I bet they are super moist!
    I'd love for you to join us on Cupcake Tuesday...http://hoosierhomemade.com/category/cupcake-tuesday/
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, please leave one.