Our master bedroom has a summer bedspread and a winter bedspread. In the winter it is actually a duvet cover. I have seen the ruffle bedspreads popping up everywhere and thought I would add a little texture to my existing duvet cover.
Adding it to an existing cover is both easier and harder than sewing it yourself. It is easier because you don't have to make an entire duvet cover but harder because you have to be more precise where your ruffles start and end instead of building them into the seam.
I took 2 sets of twin sheets that I found at Ross for $5 each, one in chocolate brown and the other in white. I then cut them into about 8-10" think strips. The most tedious part was hemming the edges. I used my rolled hem foot on my sewing machine and couldn't of done it without it. It made the job SO much easier.
After that I "ruffled" them. Since I don't have a ruffle foot, I just pushed the fabric through the sewing machine faster than the natural feed and it ruffled. This only works if you don't need the ruffle to be consistent. I didn't care and it turned out looking great.
I love our new winter bedspread.
See the K on the pillow - just another heat transfer cut out and ironed on. I think it adds so much to the white shams.