Marquee Slideshow

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Imitation = Flattery: Ruffle Bedspread

DIY Ruffled Bedspread

Our master bedroom has a summer bedspread and a winter bedspread.  In the winter it is actually a duvet cover.  I have seen the ruffle bedspreads popping up everywhere and thought I would add a little texture to my existing duvet cover.

Adding it to an existing cover is both easier and harder than sewing it yourself.  It is easier because you don't have to make an entire duvet cover but harder because you have to be more precise where your ruffles start and end instead of building them into the seam.

I took 2 sets of twin sheets that I found at Ross for $5 each, one in chocolate brown and the other in white.  I then cut them into about 8-10" think strips.  The most tedious part was hemming the edges.  I used my rolled hem foot on my sewing machine and couldn't of done it without it.  It made the job SO much easier.

After that I "ruffled" them.  Since I don't have a ruffle foot, I just pushed the fabric through the sewing machine faster than the natural feed and it ruffled.  This only works if you don't need the ruffle to be consistent.  I didn't care and it turned out looking great. 

I love our new winter bedspread.



See the K on the pillow - just another heat transfer cut out and ironed on.  I think it adds so much to the white shams.

10 comments:

  1. I love this! So feminine!! Great job!!

    Katie @ Little Becky Homecky
    http://littlebeckyhomecky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bedspread!!! I would love for you to link up at my party going on now!

    I'm a new follower, too!
    Jill
    www.jillifyit.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is impressive! Thanks for sharing at Things I've Done Thursday. www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freaking awesome! Great job! I found you via Creation Corner's Linky Party. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey lady! Just wanted to let you know we featured your ruffled bedspread over on Truly Lovely today! Thanks for sharing on Fancy This Fridays!!! http://www.trulylovelyblog.com/2012/03/fancy-this-features-67/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! I don't think I've ever seen the ruffles in one corner only.
    Thanks for linking up to last week's Catch a Glimpse party! I will be featuring this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just so stinkin' ca-ute!! It's awesome. And I'm in shock that the monogram is an iron-on...fabulous. I'll be featuring you tomorrow at Mop It Up Mondays! Thanks for linking up!

    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great addition to your bedspread!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous!

    Thank you so much for being a part of the creative sharing at Rook No. 17! I hope we'll have the pleasure of your company and creativity at tomorrow's "A Little Birdie Told Me..."

    Warmest wishes,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, please leave one.