I hate boxed mac and cheese. The smell of it makes me nauseous. I think this is inherited from my mom as she is the same way. I do make it for the girls because I know how much they love it and it is a simple dish to make, however, I will not eat it at all. I do love my girlfriend’s mac and cheese that she makes from scratch. I decided that I should have a good recipe that I can make. My first attempt was a Gouda Bacon Mac and Cheese and it was AWESOME.
I got this awesome recipe from Shugary Sweets.
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Yield: serves 10-12
· 16oz elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
· 4 Tbsp butter
· 2 1/4 cup skim milk
· 1/2 cup flour
· 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
· 2 tsp kosher salt
· 1 tsp ground black pepper
· 1/2 tsp dry mustard
· 2 tsp Worcestershire
· 1lb smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
· 1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
· 5 slices bread (about 2cups crumbs)
· 3 Tbsp butter, melted
· 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
1. Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Set aside.
2. In large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add skim milk and bring to near boiling. Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle in flour. Whisk vigorously over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Mixture should be thick and boiling. Slowly add cream, while whisking. Add in salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
3. In food processor, shred Gouda and Cheddar cheese. Add to pot, stir until thoroughly combined.
4. Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture. Pour into a 13x9 dish.
5. In same food processor bowl (no need to wash it after shredding the cheese), process 5 slices of bread to a fine crumb. Add melted butter. Sprinkle over macaroni. Top with crumbled bacon.
6. Bake uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.ENJOY!