Marquee Slideshow

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Tried It…Ate It…Loved It: Terribly Terrific Toffee

A.K.K Christmas Crack.  I have no idea where my original recipe came from but here is mine with a few notes.

Christmas Crack

Terribly Terrific Toffee (Christmas Crack)
1 cup unsalted butter (no margarine allowed)
1 cup brown sugar, packed tightly
(ok to mound)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
40 saltine crackers
(or enough to fit the whole cookie sheet)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan or a 12x17-inch cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Lay a flat layer of crackers out on the foil. Melt the sugar and butter until a boil is reached. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened and sugar is completely dissolved. Pour this mixture over the crackers and spread to coat evenly. Bake for 8-10 minutes
(mine only takes about 4-5 minutes), or until the toffee becomes bubbly. After removing the pan from the oven, let it sit for 3-5 minutes (I sprinkle the choc chips right away). Sprinkle on the chocolate chips, let them soften and melt (I pop mine back in the oven for about 45 sec-1 min), and then spread them into an even layer.  You can add nuts, cracker crumbs, or whatever else floats your boat at this point) Let cool or refrigerate until hardened. Break into pieces the size of your choice.


This is a recipe that I used to only make at Christmas but it is so easy and so well loved that I have been making it all the time.  I had a party to go to and knew that the hostess loved it.  I made a double batch and dropped it off at a girlfriend last weekend who loves Valentine’s Day.  We have new neighbors and I brought some over to greet them.  It is simple, yummy, and a great size that it fits nicely in a little bag or take out box.

Come see me at these fun link parties
http://www.findingfabulousblog.com/ The Shabby Nest   The Best Blog Recipes Rhinestone Beagle Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

1 comment:

  1. Im a sucker for toffee!! Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Retreat!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, please leave one.